When Traders in the European markets are returning from their lunch breaks, the New York session is getting ready to open. It starts at about 8 AM Eastern, when traders begin to get into the office. Like Europe and Asia, there is a single major financial center in the United States. Of course, that is New York City. A significant proportion of Forex transactions take place in New York. Of note, the New York session is also commonly called the North American session. What do people need to know about trading in the New York session?
Below you’ll find key times for the New York Session (all times are in EST):
|Overlap with London Session||8AM-12PM|
|Overlap with Tokyo Session||None|
The Top Tips to Remember
First, when looking at spreads and pip values, remember that they are going to vary depending on the liquidity of the market and other market conditions. A few other tips to keep in mind include:
- The New York session tends to be very liquid in the morning because it overlaps with the European session.
- When the European session begins to close for the day, volatility and liquidity begin to drop.
- Most economic reports are released at the start of the New York session. Because most of all trades involve the dollar, these reports have the potential to move the market significantly.
- There’s not a lot of movement in this market on Friday afternoon because traders in Europe and Asia have already started the weekend.
- On Friday afternoon, a lot of traders in the New York session start to close out their positions in advance of the weekend. Therefore, they may want to limit their exposure to any weekend news, closing their positions.
Keep these tips in mind when trying to navigate the New York session.
The Top Pairs to Trade on the New York Session
There is a lot of liquidity available when the New York session and European markets are open at the same time. Therefore, almost any pair offers opportunity. Lots of people are focusing on data from the United States because the dollar is commonly involved. Keep in mind that it is important to pay attention to the reports that are released, as they can dramatically impact the market.
With a bit of practice, it is possible to navigate the New York session, which has plenty of exposure to European and Asian markets. There is the potential for significant returns when trading Forex during the New York session.
Below you’ll find a chart of the average pip range of major pairs during the New York Session, an average range compiled by BabyPips.
Disclaimer: All information provided here is intended solely for study purposes related to trading financial markets and does not serve in any way as a specific investment recommendation, business recommendation, investment opportunity, analysis, or similar general recommendation regarding the trading of investment instruments. The content, in its entirety or parts, is the sole opinion of SurgeTrader and is intended for educational purposes only. The historical results and/or track record does not imply that the same progress is replicable and does not guarantee profits or future profitable trading records or any promises whatsoever. Trading in financial markets is a high-risk activity and it is advised not to risk more than one can afford to lose.